Unfortunately, bullying is still a real issue for young people of all ages. Bullying behavior is intentional and shows up in many forms. Repeated aggressive behavior is traumatic and causes many major issues for children such as anxiety, anger, depression, changes in eating and sleep patterns, and decreased interest in activities that used to bring him or her joy. The negative consequences are often seen in poor school performance, homework struggles, drop in grades, and often they might lash out at siblings, parents, classmates or teachers. No parent wants to see their child suffer. Fortunately, enrolling your children in a martial arts program is one of the most effective ways to teach them the skills necessary to stand firm against any bully – or even prevent them from becoming the bully!
Total Impact Martial Arts will teach your child practical skills that will make a positive impact in all areas of their lives. Our experienced senseis are prepared to help your child develop physically, mentally, and socially to combat bullying and peer pressure.
5 Benefits of Martial Arts Training for Anti-Bullying:
- Encourages good posture and standing strong. Martial arts students learn the importance of having good posture with their head held high, shoulders back, and eyes looking forward full of awareness as a healthy habit. Bullies tend to pick on the child whose eyes are averted, displaying low self confidence, and looking down at the ground.
- Our students are taught to respond to instructions in a clear and loud voice in class whether they are in a group or by themselves. When the kick or punch, they say “kiyah” loudly. They can use their vocal force when against bullying by loudly and firmly saying, “Go away” “Leave me alone” or “I said no!”
- Builds a child’s confidence to simply walk away from a fight, name calling or giving in to peer pressure. Martial arts students develop confidence by facing and overcoming obstacles. In class, the might have to perform in front of peers, learning difficult sequences or patterns, and even possible breaking a board. Studies show that children develop a positive self image and learn that they are strong and capable no matter what the situation may be.
- Martial Arts training teaches students to respect other people by abstaining from fighting unless truly necessary, and using their martial arts skills responsibly. Our instructors teach children & teens the most effective and safe self-defense techniques to physically defend ONLY when they have no other choice but to fight the bully.
- Education is an important component of our anti-bullying strategies. Teaching students to always report a bully to a teacher, administrator and/or parent. Never be a bystander, always help someone in need by getting an adult. Always be aware of your surroundings. Do not antagonize others or become a bully. Only use fighting techniques when absolutely necessary. Street smarts: don’t walk alone at night, always have a buddy with you.
Types of Bullying
There are three types of bullying:
- Verbal bullying is saying or writing mean things. Verbal bullying includes:
- Inappropriate sexual comments
- Threatening to cause harm
- Social bullying, sometimes referred to as relational bullying, involves hurting someone’s reputation or relationships. Social bullying includes:
- Leaving someone out on purpose
- Telling other children not to be friends with someone
- Spreading rumors about someone
- Embarrassing someone in public
- Physical bullying involves hurting a person’s body or possessions. Physical bullying includes:
- Taking or breaking someone’s things
- Making mean or rude hand gestures
While schools do their best to practice a “zero tolerance policy”, several studies show just how serious and often children are being bullied. Between 2005 and 2017, the percentage of students ages 12—18 who reported being bullied at school during the school year decreased from 29 to 20 percent. In 2017, about 15 percent of students in grades 9–12 reported being electronically bullied during the previous 12 months. Parents love their kids deeply but they cannot be with them 24/7 or control every situation. However, our professional Total Impact Martial Arts instructors will support, teach, encourage and train your children with the best tools to rise up above the bully that stands before them, while also reinforcing concepts that prevent them from becoming the bully!
Wouldn’t you feel a peace of mind knowing that your child has been equipped to protect themselves? Want to see how much Martial Arts will benefit your child against bullying?
Our FREE beginner’s class will introduce your child to the positive impact that MA training will have on their mind, body, and spirit. We are here to be of service to your family and the community – safety is our top priority! Call us today to learn more!
The Total Impact System
The Total Impact System blends multiple styles together to create a well rounded system which utilizes techniques of American, Chinese, Israeli, Japanese, and Korean origins, including: Bu Kyoku Ryu karate, Kickboxing/Boxing, Krav Maga, Kung Fu, Taekwondo, Muay Thai, and Judo & Jiu-Jitsu. It is about growing and continuing the evolution of martial arts by combining the best techniques from the various styles into one program. Total Impact Martial Arts & Fitness offers exciting and innovative programs that will help you reach all of your health, fitness and martial art goals!
Ready to Make a Stand Against Bullying?
Enroll your child in our Martial Arts program where they will learn the tools they need to protect themselves in any situation!