Are you searching for a martial arts dojo for your child to learn karate? Most parents wonder: What makes a good karate school? You probably have a lot of questions and don’t know where to start. Look no further than Total Impact Martial Arts! In this blog, we’ll share a breakdown of what to look for when researching karate dojos and share why our Arlington Heights dojo is a great place for local families like yours…
What Makes a Good Karate School?
You’ve probably spent hours researching karate schools in Arlington Heights, Buffalo Grove, Wheeling, and Palatine. Aside from comparing websites, reviews, and class offerings, what else needs to be considered? Here’s a breakdown of the criteria to compare:
- Location Matters: Are they located nearby? Is the dojo close to your home? How long will the drive be for after school classes? Is this somewhere easy for you to access on a regular basis? You’ll want to make sure the location is easy for you to find and get your child to for weekly classes. What does parking look like?
- Class Schedule: How many classes do they offer? Do their class times match your child’s availability? How many days of the week are they open? How long is each karate class? Ask what their policy is for missing and making up classes.
- Class Offerings: Do they offer classes for a variety of age groups and martial arts levels? Is there a certain style of martial arts that the school focuses on, or can your child learn a variety of styles from this school?
- Dojo Appearance: When was the dojo last renovated? Does the equipment look worn and old, or is everything in pristine condition? Are the mats and mirrors dirty, or do they regularly clean the dojo? The upkeep of the dojo is very telling of the school’s priorities and how they invest their money back into their program.
- Quality Instructors: Are the instructors welcoming, helpful, and personable? How many years of martial arts training do they have? How long have they been teaching kids karate classes? Have a conversation with the instructors and owner to see how you feel interacting with them. Ask if you can sit in on a class to see them in action.
- Safety: Are there safety protocols in place in case of an emergency? Are the fire exits easily accessible? Do they run background checks on all of the instructors? Are all of the instructors certified in CPR and first aid?
- Overall Environment: Does it feel like a supportive, upbeat environment for children? Or is the vibe too disciplinary and strict for what you’re looking for? Is their community generally diverse, or does their client base mainly speak the same language? All of these components combined will give you an impression on the school’s values and if this is the right environment for your child.
- Communication and Reviews: Does the school keep up with their social media presence? Are they transparent showing what goes on in class, sharing behind the scenes pictures and videos? Is the dojo respectful of concealing children’s identities on social media? Are the online reviews generally positive, or is there a pattern of poor experiences?
What to Consider When Signing Up for a Martial Arts Program…
After evaluating all of the questions and criteria above, next is time to think about your own family’s needs and goals when searching for a martial arts school:
- Are you primarily searching for an after-school program or weekend class for your child?
- Depending on your child’s age, do they need a pre-k program that is fun, high energy and includes lots of games? Or is your 5th grader in need of discipline, more focus, and bully prevention strategies?
- Does your child already have karate experience from a previous dojo and need to start at an Advanced level?
- Is your family looking for an inclusive dojo that can support any special needs or assistance that your family requires?
- Aside from master-level knowledge in martial arts, do the instructors have good people skills that make your family feel welcome and safe?
- Does the school offer the specific kind of martial arts training you’re seeking, such as Taekwondo or Kung Fu?
- How many positive reviews do they have? Are the reviews recent?
- When you ask the instructors or owner questions, are they easy to talk to and happy to help you? Or do they seem frazzled, secretive, or short with you?
- Do they offer a monthly email newsletter to keep parents informed?
A dirty upkept dojo, short-tempered instructor, or lack of diversity in students can all be red flags when vetting karate schools. The quality of teaching, condition of equipment, and overall atmosphere can make or break a good martial arts program. As a parent, we do our best to give our child all the opportunities and tools they need to develop into the unique individual they are. There are countless benefits of Kids Karate, but making sure that the school is the right fit for your child is essential!
Choosing Total Impact Martial Arts for Kids Karate in Arlington Heights
There’s a reason that families in Arlington Heights, Buffalo Grove, Wheeling, and Palatine have chosen Total Impact year after year for their child’s after-school or weekend martial arts program. We pride ourselves in providing a friendly, positive environment where we balance discipline and expert training with the right amount of fun! It’s our goal to serve as a safe, supportive space for children in the community to learn self defense, improve their self esteem, make friends, master self-control, and develop respect for themselves and their peers.
Total Impact’s mission for everyone who steps foot into the dojo is to instill the following:
- Hard Work
- Self Control
- Indomitable Spirit
The Total Impact System blends multiple styles to create a well-rounded system that utilizes techniques of American, Chinese, Israeli, Japanese, and Korean origins, including Bu Kyoku Ryu karate, Kickboxing/Boxing, Krav Maga, Kung Fu, Taekwondo, MMA, Muay Thai, and Judo & Jiu-Jitsu. It is about growing and continuing the evolution of martial arts by combining the best techniques from the various styles into one program. Learn more about our dojo here!
The Many Benefits of Children’s Martial Arts
We pledge to teach every class with the excitement, respect, professionalism, and knowledge you deserve. If you’re looking for a positive environment for your child to learn and achieve life changing results, you have come to the right place! Let us guide your children and have a strong, positive impact on their success in the dojo, at home, and in the classroom.
Key Benefits of Martial Arts for Children of All Ages Include:
- Anti-Bullying Strategies
- Better Grades
- Develop Discipline
- Foster Respect
- Improved Focus
- Increased Confidence
- Smart Self Defense
- Make Healthy Choices
- Pursue Goals
- Build Friendships
- Boost Self-Esteem
- Emotional Regulation
The skills we teach in the dojo are lifelong tools that can help your child be successful at school and at home. Kids are very impressionable, allow our instructors to make a positive impact on them!
Learn why so many parents have chosen our dojo for their child’s after school or summer karate program…
“We’ve had such a positive experience with Total Impact. Our daughter wanted to try classes but was initially very shy. The coaches were really supportive and respectful of the time it took her to get up the courage to even try the free class, but the way they handled it made me suspect we were in a great place. Now that she is all in and attends classes several days a week, I am even more convinced of Total Impact’s excellence. The disciplined lesson program is balanced with wisdom, kindness, good humor, and welcome, and our child has blossomed here. In addition to the physical skills she is acquiring, she has developed so much confidence through her interactions with these thoughtful instructors. We are so glad to have found Total Impact and grateful for its impact on her life!” – Anne M.
Total Impact Martial Arts specializes in creating confident, strong, and healthy kids throughout Chicago including Arlington Heights, Buffalo Grove, Palatine, Wheeling, and surrounding areas.
Whether your goal is to get your kids active, help them build confidence, or teach them to protect themselves, we can help!
Sign up today and get a FREE INTRO WEEK of Kids Karate classes at our Arlington Heights dojo!
Do you have questions about Children’s Martial Arts? Call us or send an email today!
Empower Your Child to Succeed at Total Impact!
Sign up for a FREE intro week of Kids Karate…