Life is unpredictable, and challenges can get any of us into a slump. As much as we would like to only experience life’s highs, lows are equally important in helping our growth and resilience. But dealing with challenges can be tough, especially if they come at you with full force. You need to be strong mentally and emotionally to overcome obstacles, without giving up, feeling defeated, or or getting overwhelmed.
Easier said than done, right? Many people may think mental strength is innate, but at Total Impact, we believe it can be developed and improved. All human beings have the power to make their minds and bodies stronger to tackle life’s challenges with clarity and ease.
It’s been proven time and time again that martial arts training helps strengthen mental fortitude, emotional regulation, and resilience. Today we’ll discuss how MMA training with Total Impact can help you overcome any obstacle in stride!
Resilience: A Martial Arts Master Class
Some of us lose loved ones, jobs, or relationships. While life is unpredictable, it’s how we deal with those challenges and push through that matters. How do you deal with bad news, or an emergency situation? Do you stay calm and strong in the face of adversity, or do you become frantic and let fear rule your decision making?
MMA training is more than just a contact sport. It’s a type of focused training that conditions your mind, body, and spirit. Martial arts training requires patience, discipline, perseverance, and concentration. More than anything, martial arts training teaches every student resilience. Resilience is the ability to recover from setbacks, adapt to change, and keep going in the face of adversity. It is a key factor in achieving success in any area of life.
What is resilience?
- The capacity to withstand or to recover quickly from difficulties; toughness.
- The ability of a substance or object to spring back into shape; elasticity.
MMA training like karate or kickboxing involves many challenges, obstacles, and hurdles. In order to progress with your martial arts journey and earn a new rank, avoidance is not an option – especially when it comes to belt testing. Each student (whether a child, teen, or adult) must face these moments head on.
Why resilience matters:
- Helps us cope with stress and avoid burnout. By building resilience, we develop the ability to stay calm and focused under pressure, which can help us avoid getting overwhelmed by the challenges we face.
- Resilient people are more likely to achieve their goals and experience positive outcomes.
- People who are resilient are less likely to experience anxiety, depression, and other mental health issues, and are more likely to have a positive outlook on life.
- Resilience helps us build stronger relationships. When we are able to cope with stress and setbacks in a healthy way, we are better able to communicate, listen, and empathize with others.
Martial Arts is The Key to Becoming Unstoppable in the Face of Adversity
Here’s a deeper look at how MMA helps improve resilience and strength…
Martial arts training is physically intense. It requires a lot of coordination, control over your reflexes, flexibility, and endurance. No one starts perfect, and struggling initially is completely normal. As you train and progress, you become physically stronger and more in tune with your body. MMA training also teaches you to connect with your body and listen to it – resting when you are fatigued and pushing your limits only as far as you can bear it. This makes you more confident, as you know your strengths and weaknesses.
As we said earlier, MMA training also involves a mental aspect. The journey can be tough, and demotivating, leaving students frustrated. But a key element of MMA is a positive mindset – the ability to focus, achieve clarity, and do your best. Celebrating progress and seeing weaknesses as areas of improvement can shift your mindset and make you mentally stronger.
Students feel a range of emotions during their MMA classes – fear of failure, embarrassment, and anxiety about performing in front of others. But it’s important to remember that your peers may also be feeling the same. Seeking support or help makes you stronger. Total Impact trainers are trained to offer encouragement and emotional support to all their students, and we support community building amongst our students so they all succeed by helping each other.
As human beings, we wish to belong. Since martial arts is a communal activity, you may struggle socially. You may be hesitant to start in front of more skilled peers or may want to quit altogether. But the core principles of martial arts are to build relationships and bring the community together. Trust, support, and encouragement are tenets of our training, helping our students to rise socially.
Real-World Skills from MMA Training
How do challenges during training help you succeed in life? Are there any advantages of kickboxing or karate outside the dojo? Yes, tons! It is the best part of MMA training! Everything you learn in the dojo – skills and techniques—you can apply in your daily lives at school, work, and at home. Here are some essential, valuable real-world skills every Total Impact student develops:
- Increased focus: Martial arts sparring requires focus and mindfulness. As a result, individuals tend to become more mindful of everything in their lives, enabling them to focus on the task at hand without getting distracted easily.
- Perseverance: There are levels in martial arts training, and students advance by training and overcoming challenges. This translates into real life as well – you learn to persevere and keep fighting till you win the battle!
- Self-defense: The most obvious outcome of training is self-defense abilities. Students can defend themselves in physical altercations. Since they are more confident, they are also less vulnerable to potential assaults.
- Goal-Setting: Students learn to set realistic goals and achieve success by surpassing them! All major challenges can be overcome if we break them down into little challenges and goals, and that is exactly what MMA training instills in them.
Overcoming Adversity & Creating Success with Martial Arts Classes
As a martial arts student, you learn techniques to meet challenges head-on and face adversity. But these techniques are not just restricted to the mat! Here are some strategies to overcome adversity on and off the mat…
- Set SMART goals: SMART goals are realistic and achievable. Break down any problems you have into smaller, more manageable steps. As you achieve each small milestone, don’t forget to celebrate!
- Practice mindfulness: Mindfulness helps you focus on the tasks at hand without getting distracted. This helps you to keep your attention on the problem and how to solve it rather than getting flustered.
- Seek help: In the dojo, we always recommend seeking support when you’re struggling. We’re stronger together and can persevere. Similarly, reach out to people who you think can help solve the problem or offer you relevant advice.
- Be positive: It is easy to fall into despair and give up when you fail. But having a positive mindset can help you reset pretty quickly after a fall. Any step towards progress is a success, even if it’s a small one! You just need to be positive and celebrate all your wins, big or small!
Unleash Resilience with Total Impact!
At Total Impact, we wholeheartedly believe in the transformative power of MMA training. Resilience is a skill that can be developed and improved over time. By practicing resilience-building habits, we can become more resilient and better equipped to handle the challenges that life throws our way.
Karate, kickboxing, and krav maga help students of all ages develop physical and mental strength – key life skills to succeed in all areas of life! True to our philosophy and beliefs, we create a safe environment to help you evolve into the BEST version of yourself!
Come try us out for the BEST martial arts training in Arlington Heights and Buffalo Grove!
Hear from one of our Total Impact parents about their child’s awesome experience at our dojo:
“My son has been going here for the past couple of years and he has learned a lot. Sensei Brian and all the senseis are very good and have been teaching for a long time.”
– Kinnari V.
Join our Karate, Kickboxing, & MMA programs today to work towards a better, stronger you!
Become unstoppable with Total Impact!
Call (224) 248-8692 or send us an email today.
Total Impact Martial Arts offers karate, kickboxing, self-defense, and MMA programs to individuals of all ages throughout Chicagoland including Arlington Heights, Buffalo Grove, Palatine, Wheeling, and surrounding areas.
Ready to level up?
Let’s become unstoppable together!