Our kids face several challenges today. While bullying was one of the common threats kids used to only face at school, now the availability of social media and other tech gadgets has made way for cyberbullying. Therefore the bullying continues at home now too…that’s why every October we raise awareness for Bully Prevention Month.
It’s easier to put others down behind screens. Bullying and peer pressure can affect your child mentally and have serious long-term consequences. Whether your child is the victim, a bystander, or the bully, it’s important to correct this behavior and stop the effects early on before it’s too late. As parents and adults, it’s our responsibility to keep our youth safe and empower them!
At Total Impact Martial Arts, it’s our goal to equip our children and teens of all ages with the tools they need to combat bullying (or curb aggressive behavior) through learning respect, self-defense techniques, confidence, and many other important lifelong skills like creating personal safety.
Martial arts classes are one of the most valuable tools for teaching kids how to be stronger mentally, emotionally, and physically in the face of bullying! Our instructors make sure students understand those behaviors will not be tolerated. Read on to learn how Total Impact’s kids karate and teen MMA programs are beneficial in the fight against bullying!
The State of Our Bullying Epidemic in 2023
Bullying is nothing new. It has existed for a long time, but over the years the problem has gotten more serious and its reach has evolved. Cyberbullying has made matters even worse as this behavior is no longer limited to physical altercations or geographical constraints.
1 in 5 children is bullied in the United States. That’s a huge number and keep in mind that these are only the reported figures. The numbers may be even bigger. Now that school is back in session, young people are more likely to get picked on…or give in to pressure and harass their peers. Students who experience bullying are at increased risk for:
- sleep difficulties
- lower academic achievement
- low self-esteem
Bullying can have long-term consequences for the victims and the bullies. The victims suffer from a lack of self-esteem, have lower self-confidence, and retreat into their shells, hiding themselves from the world. The bullies too can develop antisocial behavior and may have mental health challenges. These consequences are why we need to have effective measures to protect young people.
Common types of bullying include:
- Physical such as hitting, kicking, and tripping
- Verbal including name-calling and teasing
- Relational/social such as spreading rumors and leaving out of the group
- Damage to property of the victim
Why does this matter to us? Millions of kids skip school every year due to the fear of being bullied. This number is way too high! At Total Impact, we truly CARE about our community and students’ wellbeing. We want our students to be happy, healthy, and thriving. Our community serves as a safe space for young people to learn, grow, and find support. Read on to learn more…
Utilizing Martial Arts as a Bullying Prevention Strategy
As parents and guardians, how can we protect our kids and equip them for success? While we may not be able to stop bullying altogether, martial arts classes at Total Impact help students combat bullying, stand up for themselves & others, and prevent students from being the bully.
How does a martial arts class stop bullying? You may think the answer is just self-defense. But it’s more than that…
Martial arts isn’t just physical training to defend oneself. Students undergo disciplined training that helps develop their character and makes them stronger individuals physically and mentally. It helps them become a leader and uplift people rather than push them down. Here are some ways in which martial arts training serves as the perfect tool to combat bullying.
- Self-Confidence: Through martial arts training, students develop greater self-confidence. They can defend themselves physically when the need arises. Their abilities, progress, and discipline make them more self-assured, preventing bullies from seeing them as vulnerable targets.
- Conflict Resolution: The common notion of martial arts is that it’s a violent sport. But karate or judo training encourages solving conflicts without violence. Students are taught to control their emotions and manage them to communicate effectively and find peaceful solutions. This skill is not only valuable against bullies but also helps students excel in all areas of life.
- Physical Fitness: All forms of martial arts require physical activity. Training helps students become physically fit, encouraging them to take better care of their bodies and mind. Physically fit children are less likely to be bullied.
- Respect and Discipline: The core values at Total Impact are respect and discipline. All students must respect each other and everyone around them. They learn to be humble, disciplined and helpful toward their peers. This develops a sense of community and such an environment doesn’t leave room for bullying.
- Self-Defense: The focus of martial arts isn’t just self-defense, but it’s one of the biggest outcomes of the training. Students learn practical self-defense skills that help them protect themselves in unfortunate circumstances. Students who can and are likely to stand up and defend themselves are rarely bullied.
Is Your Child the Bully?
This Bullying Awareness Month, our focus isn’t just on the victims, it’s on the bullies too. The only way to eradicate bullying is by empowering the victims and addressing the behavior of bullies. Our Children’s Martial Arts & Teen MMA programs can equip them with the skills needed to get on the right track!
Here are a few ways martial arts empowers young people and stops bullying:
- Character Development: Martial arts training doesn’t only offer physical self-defense skills. It also teaches good values and qualities that help students become model citizens. They learn to respect others, and manage and channel their emotions and self-control. This curbs bullying behavior.
- Empathy: Martial arts students learn to empathize with others and understand their struggles and emotions. This helps bullies recognize that they are hurting their victims and encourages them to stop.
- Leadership: Martial arts students are more self-assured and confident. This encourages them to take more initiative and act as a leader in their circles. Bullies learn that they can act as leaders and can uplift people rather than hurting them and pushing them down.
- Accountability: Martial arts training instills a sense of accountability in students. They learn to take responsibility for their actions and this is a good deterrent for bullying behavior.
Total Impact Martial Arts: Your Partner in Anti-Bullying Strategies!
At Total Impact Martial Arts, we know the impact our classes can have and the role we can play in a more peaceful and tight-knit community. Hence, we take behavior like bullying very seriously. We strive to make a POSITIVE impact on kids and teenagers by teaching them important life skills for SUCCESS!
We share many bully prevention techniques through the life lessons and self-defense training in our martial arts classes. Our after-school karate programs focus not only on physical training but also focus on the mental and emotional aspects to help them be the best versions of themselves in the dojo, at school, and at home.
Our classes specifically tackle bullying by encouraging students to help their peers, be supportive, and defend those who are vulnerable. Total Impact instructors teach kids to be courageous leaders who can make the world a better place!
Hear from one of our Total Impact parents about their child’s awesome experience at our dojo:
“My daughter has been attending karate & MMA classes for more than a year. My daughter like it very much. We participate in tournaments and have a great healthy-lifestyle-oriented karate community here.”
Is your child or teenager struggling to cope? Could they be the bully, or a bystander?
It’s our goal to empower people of all ages to live their BEST lives in the dojo, at school, and at home. Let’s say NO to bullying TOGETHER!
Call (224) 248-8692 or send us an email today.
Total Impact Martial Arts offers karate, kickboxing, self-defense, and MMA programs to individuals of all ages throughout Chicagoland including Arlington Heights, Buffalo Grove, Palatine, Wheeling, and surrounding areas.
Ready to say NO to bullying?
Join Total Impact to prevent bullying and make the world a safer place!